Saturday, January 8, 2011

My "One Little Word"

"A single word can be a powerful thing. It can be the ripple in the pond that changes everything. It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow. " Ali Edwards Blog

After reading my sister's blog about putting a twist on New Year's Resolutions, I decided to see what I could come up with for myself. The idea is to focus on a single word for the year instead of a big list. The first word that popped into my mind was ENJOY. Focusing on this one word has already helped me get through my days in a better way.

When I get short and stressed with my kids, I take a deep breath and think of the word ENJOY. This makes me realize that I do want to enjoy my kids more, and that I don't need to get so stressed out about the little things. I went to Costco this week and there were a million people there. I was starting to have a lot of anxiety and just wanted to get out of there. The kids were starting to feel the same way and acting up about it. I was starting to get real upset with them, but then I took a deep breath and thought about how much I want to enjoy them. It made me think about how time goes so fast, and I would rather take longer at Costco than to yell at my kids like that. I'm definitely still not perfect about getting upset with them, but thinking about the word enjoy is really helping.

It is also helping me be a better friend. This year I wanted to work on making more friends. I've been staying in a little bubble for the last few years, and I want to enjoy what friendships bring to my life. I want to have more girl's night outs, more walks in the park, more playdates for my kids and just simply enjoy having friends. I've already enjoyed one girl's night out for this year so far.

I want to work on more projects that I enjoy. I really like to scrapbook and things like that. I got a cricut for Christmas this year, (whooo hooo) and I want to enjoy creating things with it. I would also like to enjoy my house more. I have a great little house, but it is way messier than I would like. I want to keep it up better so that I can enjoy this blessing.

I actually enjoy working out, but it's not as fun to work out when you're not in good shape. I want to enjoy what working out does for my body, soul, and mind. I want to think about exercise as more of a pleasure than a burden. I am so thankful for what my body can do, and I want to treat it better than I have been treating it.

I could go on and on. So, I just wrote down a just a few examples of how I plan to ENJOY 2011! I hope you all enjoy it as well!

4 comments:

garrynkim said...

What a great word. Too many mother's with young kids want it to end. I'm so glad you want to enjoy it. I think that word works perfect for you!! Yay on the cricut!!

jessica said...

Loved this post...Love this idea. I wish we lived closer so that we could ENJOY our friendship more. I love you and I am proud of you!

Krissy T. said...

Good word to choose! We all would be a little happier if we take the time to enjoy whatever stage of life we are in...

Unknown said...

What a perfect blog! I can't even imagine you getting upset, I have never even seen you get short with your kids at all. We need to do some cricut stuff together, that would be a fun girls night!