...But, Unfortunately, You Can't Take the City out of the Kids. :(
We went to my parent's house for the weekend to help with branding. It's something Clay and I look forward to every year. We were so happy that it was "rained out" last weekend since Clay had to work and we couldn't make that trip.
This year MIGHT be the last year of cows for my dad, so we wanted to make sure Kres was able to experience "branding." But since he has hardly been exposed to farm life, I thought it best for him to skip the actual branding itself. It's not really something a 3-year-old City kid needs to see. So, my plan was to take Kres just for the rounding up and getting ready part. I thought he'd really enjoy it.

The trees, grass, and fields are a beautiful shade of green this time of year---enjoyable.

Hanging with his dad---enjoyable.

Sitting next to a fire--enjoyable.

Being with friends and family---enjoyable.

Watching Uncle Reed mark a new calf---maybe not enjoyable, but interesting.

Climbing the rock wall that Great Grandpa built---enjoyable.

Smelling the dead cow and calf that got stuck in the barn---definitely NOT enjoyable

Standing in the middle of a bunch of cows---debatable.

As Kres and I were walking back to the car, he said, "Mom, don't buckle me in. You have cow poop on your hands." I looked down, and sure enough I had a little on my hands.
Then I looked at Kres's hands and he had a tiny speck on his hands too.
So I said, "look, you have some on your hands too."
He looked down at his hands, got the most horrified look on his face, did a full body shiver, and then gagged!!!
It was so funny!
I finally got our hands washed, got him in the car, got our muddy boots off, and hopped in the driver's seat. I looked back at him and said, "well, that was fun!"
He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Mom, that was "DA ROS" (gross)"!
Huh?? I guess what I find enjoyable isn't always the same for others?
So, my hopes of raising a "farm boy" turned to Beckham.

He very much enjoyed helping Grandpa and Uncle Brian unload the 4-wheelers.

But, remember all the patience he has with Grandpa?
Well, the cow-head-in-the-face went too far, and he let Grandpa know it.
So once again, raising a farm boy was a strike out for me.
Don't get me wrong. My boys LOVE being at Grandma's house. Their favorite thing by far is the hot tub.



WAIT A MINUTE! We didn't try horseback riding. Maybe, they will enjoy that?

They do like it!
(Unfortunately, they like riding the fake horses we found at the Haines Steakhouse.)
At least this gives me a glimmer of hope.


Or maybe not :(
7 comments:
Talon hates to get dirty, one of Tanner's top ten fears is cows, then there's Taz...farmboy at heart! See you just need to have a third boy and HE'LL be a farmboy:)
How many of us "farm girls" really love the manure, blood, dead cows, bawling calves, ear knobing, dehorning and smell of burning hide? I don't, but I love the gathering, family togetherness, working together, scenery, etc. Every farm adventure is worthwhile, and the good outweighs the bad! They did REALLY enjoy the hot tub and horse, though! And, we enjoyed having them visit us--for whatever reason!
Too funny! They are young though, so there might be hope for the future?!?
This made me laugh! Can you believe how oblivious we've always been to the stench of burning hair, the sight of blood spurting out of the spot where a horn used to be, and cow manure on our shoes and pants? Can you believe we used to roast hot dogs in the fire pit next to all the "action"?
That was too funny! I love all the pictures but the story made it even better. thanks for sharing!
Maybe someday we can come at branding time....my small town kids love dirt and cows, and the like--although they don't get up close often enough. We're going to try them on the horses when we're home in a few weeks...Elsa doesn't really like animals, but she's really excited to go fishing!
I am just glad that they don't cut off the ears anymore. We miss having you give the vaccinations though. Your dad had to do it this year. I am still the keeper of the fire. That will remain my job forever I hope.
Post a Comment